Stern has a private cloud computing environment that allows us to quickly provide you with a virtual machine for your research. Virtual machines are like a physical computer with added benefits.
For faculty who have research money to buy equipment, we typically have them purchase a cloud server, and run their applications on that in one or more dedicated virtual machines, and other VMs can run on the cloud server. This allows more flexibility for both researchers and the SCRC, as the VMs for researchers can be moved to other cloud servers if necessary. This provides much better utilization, saves power, air and rack space and is much easier to administer.
- customize the amount of memory, disk space, number of processors, operating system, and software
- access from anywhere, i.e., your office, home or abroad
- collaborate with geographically distant colleagues
- quickly provisioned and configured
- computing resources without the financial overhead
- frees up your personal computer
To connect to a virtual server from off-campus you must use the NYU ITS Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Requesting a Virtual Machine
The center has a small VMWARE cloud that we use to support researchers with specialized needs. The cloud supports a wide variety of both Windows and linux machines. If you send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your needs, we can schedule a meeting and usually provide a machine within a day or so.